Shadow and Bone

A review of Leigh Bardugo’s “Shadow And Bone”

Linnea Murdock, Journalist

The book Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo is what I would consider a mix between The Selection by Kiera Cass and An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. In all, Shadow and Bone takes the romance from The Selection and the fantasy aspect from An Ember In The Ashes.

Shadow and Bone starts of with Alina and Mal, two children orphaned by war. With the first chapter you get, all the backstory you need without it being dragged out.  In this short chapter you also learn of the Grisha, or masters of the small science.

S&B took magic, mixed it with the high life of the rich and a land caught up in war and dragged your heart along with it. This book takes you straight into the lands of Ravka and right along side of Alina Bardugo masterfully created a tale that you can just sink into and read for hours.

This is a book I could read over and over again and never get tired of. This book is relatable because it deals with real emotions and stuff people could deal with everyday mixed with magic. The second I finished the first book I went to Amazon and bought the next two books in the trilogy.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves strong female main characters, magic and crying over fictional characters.

“Air five” to Bardugo for creating such a marvelous book.

Rating: 4.5/5