PRESIDENT TRUMP CANCELS DACA

President Donald Trump gets rid of the program put into place by former President Obama

Jennifer Ramirez, Copy Editor

Who? Dreamers, President Trump, and Congress. What? What DACA is, it ending, when it’s ending, what life will be like for Dreamers. Where? All over the country. When? March 2018. Why? Why did President Trump decide to end it, why do Dreamers want to stay, why is it beneficial to keep dreamers, why is it detrimental to keep dreamers (if that’s the case).

On Tuesday, September 5th President Trump’s administration announced he would get rid of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, by March of 2020, with their work and school permits expiring March 2018. In doing so 800,000 ‘Dreamers’ (people protected by the program) will be displaced.

After the Spring deadline students will lose the protection that they had with DACA and will once again have undocumented status. It’s unknown if this means that they will be targeted and deported, it is highly unlikely that this will occur. That would be cruel.” Mrs. Ramirez, one of the co-advisors for multicultural club, said.

DACA, or the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, is an executive policy decision President Obama created in 2012.

“Executive Policy Decisions are a presidential privilege. Presidents can pass regulations to facilitate laws, but these regulations are not laws.” Mr. Horrace, one of the teachers in this school’s social studies department, said.

“If you are a DACA recipient you were brought to America by undocumented parents. DACA allows some privileges as this was not your choice, since you were a child.” Horrace said. The policy allows children who were brought here illegally by their parents to study and work in the U.S. It also allows them to have a driver’s license. Students must have a clean record to qualify for the program and must also complete either school or military service. The program does not offer a path to citizenship or residency, but the action to deport is deferred for two years. ‘Dreamers’ are called so because of the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors act, or the ‘DREAM’ act.

“The DREAM act, a law he (President Obama) was trying to pass (which has the same elements as DACA in addition to a path to citizenship), was not able to pass. DACA was his temporary solution. Initially, there was not much opposition except from the far right. Generally, even conservatives understood the concept of children not being responsible for parents’ actions.” Horrace said.

Since the campaign, Trump promised to get rid of Daca and deport all undocumented people. Along with that he also said he would build a wall along the border of Mexico and America. What Mrs. Ramirez mentions though, is the impact it will have on our community.

“Some students of B-EHS will feel insecure and fearful of the worst possible scenario, the “what if” situation. And although not everyone may directly feel the impact of this, it doesn’t mean there isn’t any consequences. It will affect everyone in one way or another.” Mrs. Ramirez urges people skeptical of the program to put themselves in others’ shoes.