New head basketball coach at B-EHS

Basketball team and coach’s thoughts on the season ahead

Coach Chas Kok playing for the Bellingham Slam.

Jon Bergman

Logan Wright, Design Editor

There is a new Tiger head coach at Burlington-Edison High school. His name is Christopher Kok, but all the players call him coach K or Chas. He calls himself Chas or Mr. K because he doesn’t want students to call him Mr. Kok when they are at school.

Coach K is a math teacher at Bay View Elementary and has been teaching there for the past four years. Last year he was the JV head coach but moved up to Varsity head coach this past year.

Coach K played at Lynden High School and won a state championship in 2007. He then went to Skagit Valley College for 2 years. After that, he went to Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, British Columbia, where he made the Canada West Final Four and was an All-Conference Player.

After the head coach for the Canadian West team left to Thompson Rivers University, Coach K transferred with him. He then became team captain for two years.  Shortly after Coach K was an assistant coach at TRU for two years while also playing for the Bellingham Slam in the summer for three years, winning the International Basketball League all three summers.

The B-EHS basketball team is having a lot of success recently because of Coach K. Some of the players say that coach has done wonders for the team and can’t wait for the season.

“Coach K has brought energy, and great practice habits, such as making the practices be a lot of conditioning and game like situations. The practices are competition oriented so we will always go one hundred percent” said varsity player Josh Altenhofen, ‘18.

Another varsity player Brian Mcgovern, ‘19, said, “Coach K is doing a fantastic job being a coach. His success with our program in the summer was very good and all the players enjoy connecting and learning from him. He has been very successful in his career as a player and is looking to continue that success as a coach. He brings a very experienced basketball mind from his lifetime of playing to the team and everyone is very excited to get started with the coming season.”

Coach K said, “Because my basketball career took me to so many places and had many different styles of play, I think I have knowledge in many different ways to play basketball. The pace in all of my stops has varied from super slow to super fast, so I think I have a good grasp of how a team should play depending on the players and skill sets. I’ve also seen many different coaching styles and because of that, I have taken many of the philosophies I’ve enjoyed playing for and applied them to how I coach.”

Now that B-EHS has a new coach the team has made some changes like new plays, practices, and in game style.

Coach K said, “I see a bright future for the Tigers. I feel we need to continue to prepare and train the right way, and if we do it properly, efficiently, and correctly, the results will come. A much wiser coach once told me a quote that I feel really applies to our team, ‘Look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.’-Jacob Riis. I think if we keep “hammering away at the rock,” the results will come.”