Spring Sports 2019

Quotes and Goals From Team Members

As the weather is starting to warm up, our spring athletes are getting in stride. The spring teams’ seasons are underway, and it is time to see what they are looking forward to about the road ahead. Spoiler alert: they are all very excited for the season and are positive that they will have a great time.

It’s easy to see why: the weather is nice, and is there anything better to do after school than be outside with some of your best friends and teammates?

These athletes know the importance of their friends. Freshman trackster Amey Rainaud says that “my friends always hype me up before meets,” and “I am looking forward to enjoying track with” them.

Senior golfer Ashleigh Mason says that her favorite moment from the season “so far is playing with Madeline Hundahl during our first match.” Ashleigh got a Second-Team All-Conference honor last year.

Staying with golf, senior Brayden Konkle looks forward to “growing as a team” and his favorite part so far “has been practicing because it’s fun to hang out with the team and work to get better.

Claire Pickering wants to “create relationships with the girls on the team”, and her goal is to build chemistry with her partner Lauryn Dykstra and “take us to the next level and try to make it as far as we can in the postseason.”

Lily Edwards says that her favorite part of her junior tennis season has been “just playing with the girls! I love them all”.

Sophomore Emma Fleury noted that her favorite part of her softball season has been being with her team, because “We have a really good bond that I just love.”

While it is great to have familiar faces on the team, they still love the newcomers.

Lily advocated for the class of ‘22, saying “the incoming freshmen look great! Two freshmen made varsity and they’re doing really well!” Those two freshmen would be Kiersten Waldrop and Haleigh Peterson.

Claire also said good things about those two, specifically that they “have a lot of talent and as the continue to grow, will be two really great tennis players. They fit really well with the team”. She added that they “are both super genuine people.”

What does Connor Nelson think of the freshmen? The senior said “I think the freshmen class has a lot of potential and can be very successful as seniors if they are dedicated.”

Ashleigh also said that she is excited for the freshmen ”because there was a lot of them that tried out for golf and I’m happy we have new faces on the team.”

Brayden said good things about his team’s new freshman, Cobe Betz, saying “Cobe has been doing great this year” and “he has a bright future ahead.”

But it’s not all about hanging out. They are here to win.

Amey says that she’s looking forward to competing with “Lynden, because I always have to compete against them in all my other sports”. Amey is a starter on both the varsity volleyball and basketball teams, and Lynden is a tough matchup in both.

(At left, Clara Mattison (left) is the top ranked javelin thrower in District 1, Aimee Sotemaker (middle) have two top-two finishes in the 1600m and the 4×4 relay with teammate Lexy Watson (right), who took first and second in her first two 800m races and was on the 4×4 team that got first place finish.)

As for Ashleigh, she says “I’m looking forward to playing against Sophia Schmidt from Bellingham”. Schmidt won MVP last year. “She has always been my biggest competition.”

Connor and Lexy are both looking forward to competing against familiar rivals. Connor mentioned that he is excited to compete against Mount Vernon, and Lexy said “I always look forward to competing against Anacortes.”

Junior Logan Wright is ready to compete in track against “Lakewood because I know they have a lot of guys that are great athletes from there that will be loads of fun to run and jump against.”

What else do they want to accomplish this season?

For Amey, she said “My goal for this season is to make it to sub districts,” and she also hopes to letter. Logan also hopes to make subdistricts.

Lexy said that her goal “is to improve my 400m relay split and qualify for Districts.”

Ashleigh, Brayden, and Connor all have a goal to make state in their respective sports.

It is also worth mentioning that boys baseball has been on fire to start the season, and recently beat Nooksack 25-2.

Overall, our athletes this year give us here at Burlington-Edison something to be proud of. They have been fantastic so far this year, and we should be excited to see how far they go. Make sure to check out athletic.net and the NWC page for updates on sports.

(At left Connor Nelson won all three of his 300m hurdles events in March and his relay teams have five top-two finishes)