DECA Competition Review

Brandi Stewart, News Reporter/Writer

On January 7, Burlington-Edison High School’s marketing program participated in the first level of the annual DECA Competition. This competition took place at Glacier Peak High School along with 16 other northwest high schools.

“We do this to prepare students for the real world, which requires constant problem solving and communication,” Roger Kinney, the DECA advisor, said.

DECA, or Distributive Education Clubs of America, is an association of marketing students. Founded in 1949, all students who worked extra hours after school received credit for the hours they put in. This process was called distributive education. The group of students who always stayed after formed a club in which the members competed against students from other schools.

Students who are interested in business and leadership are encouraged to join DECA. The DECA competition is a timed reading and analysis of a business problem, such as trying to promote or sell an item. A relevant solution is determined and presented. The competitor then has to defend their solution to an adult judge.

“You first receive the business situation on a piece of paper from the judges.” Rachel Husband ’20, a DECA student who participated in regionals, said. “Each person has about ten minutes to get their ideas prepared for presenting. I received a marketing analysis plan, and I had figure out a solution in the ten minutes allotted.”

There are three levels of competition: the district level, state level, and international level. The latter is when seven countries outside of the U.S. compete, consisting of school representatives which are from out of the country.  The district level takes place at Glacier Peak High School in Snohomish, Wash., the state level takes place in Bellevue for two nights and three days, and the national level rotates between four different cities: Anaheim, Orlando, Atlanta, and Nashville.

“The competition was pretty scary, since I had never presented in front of a judge before,” Alyssa Peck ‘20, said. “We had to arrive at the school at 7:30 am, and the three hours prior to the competition were pretty stressful.”

Although the competition was stressful for those who participated, Burlington-Edison placed well amongst the other schools, with seven representatives finishing in the top eight places. Since Burlington did successfully in the last competition, the state level and national level are still remaining, and there is hope that the marketing students will place well in the next competition.