‘In Time’ Movie Review

Khadijah Butler, A&E Reporter/Writer

­In Time was released October 28, 2011 and written, directed, and produced by Andrew Niccol. Starring Justin Timberlake (as Will Salas), Amanda Seyfried (Sylvia Weis) and Cillian Murphy (Raymond Leon, the Timekeeper).

The movie takes place in a society where people stop aging at 25, and everyone has a clock on their arm that counts down how long they have to live. There are two specific “time zones”: Dayton is a poor manufacturing area where people generally have 24 hours or less on their clock at any given time. New Greenwich however, is the wealthiest time zone, where people can have enough time on their clock to live forever.

The movie’s plot is unique and is dealt with well. The first half of In Time is stylish and original, and offers just enough action and time pun jokes to be genuinely entertaining without being over the top. However, the Bonnie and Clyde-meets-Robin Hood caper in the second half feels forced and strangely out of sync.

It’s astounding to see a low-tech major studio Dystopian science-fiction film in this time, one in which the only physical event of its futuristic setting is a digital clock emblazoned on everyone’s arm that offers a tally on how much time they have left.

______________________________________________________________________________

*I’ve decided to review this movie because not many people know about it. Most films from 2011 and 2012 weren’t that popular, because the technology wasn’t as advanced as it is now.