Adjusting to High School 101

Freshman Advice

Aydan Miner, Editor

Freshman year can be quite the adjustment period even If you know what to expect. I have heard that many students are nervous to begin high school, and I can sympathize. Change is scary, especially in a new environment.  

Many students are warned that their friend groups will change, their course load will be much more cumbersome, and that high school is stressful. But you can do well while all of this is happening if you stay focused on a few specific things.

Here are the the ten best pieces of advice I can give you for surviving your freshman year of high school.

#1:  Most importantly, make yourself as comfortable as possible, in class and on campus. The more comfortable you are in your environment, the easier everything else will be. Going hand in hand with this, never hold back on asking questions, of your teachers, your counselor, the office ladies, the principal even, they are all there to help you.

#2:  Discover which note taking strategy works best for you. You may find that not a single one of your teachers provides notes that you can learn from. I have found that there are a plethora of ways to take notes, and finding the one that works best for you, is crucial to academic success. When it comes time for the test, you’ll want to have great notes to study from.

#3:  Avoid procrastinating. I personally suffer from this greatly, and it affects academic success like no other. With this new schedule, it’s likely that you will have more time for homework, especially if you do the assignment the day it was assigned instead of waiting until the night before it is due.

#4: Organize your materials, and your time. I highly suggest using a planner to coordinate your school related and non school related activities. There are many different kinds of planners, and each one is structured differently. Like notes, everyone is different and while a daily set up works for your best friend, doesn’t mean it will work for you.

#5:  Balance your social and academic lives. Not necessarily equally, because you may want to stress one more than the other.

#6:  Get involved. Whether you join a club, or you volunteer, getting involved offers benefits and opens up new opportunities. Committing to a club for example can help you meet people that are interested in the same things as you. Those people have the potential to become your closest friends.

#7: Take time for yourself. You’ll find that high school is whirlwind of activities all the time. If you get involved with friends, clubs, events, and your academics, you’ll be busy. Busy can be good, but it can also induce stress. Take one day out of the week to stay home, or to go out, but do it alone. We need time to reflect, and relax, and when we are with others it is difficult to do so.

#8: Expect change. I’m sure you have all heard that your friend groups are going to undergo drastic changes, and they might. These four years encompass constant change, not just with your friends but also regarding your passions and values. You may learn more about who you feel that you are.

#9:   Establish relationships with your instructors. One of the most rewarding things I gained while I was here, was a few reliable, thoughtful, and very helpful mentors. In my opinion, the most valuable thing I did while I was here. They possess a lot of knowledge that you can gain, if you want too. Your teachers want to talk to you, and they will help you, whether it is in regards to something school related or not. They give the very best advice.

#10:  Enjoy yourself. The difficulty increases. As much as you think freshman year is rough, in the grand scheme of things, it isn’t nearly as hard as what is to come. Have fun with your friends, spend time with your family, capture your memories, be there in the moment and be grateful. High school goes by very quickly. Before you know it, you will be leaving the town you’ve lived in your whole life and you’ll be entering a new chapter.