United States Presidential Election

Ben Jones '18, News Writer/Reporter

On November 8th of this year ballots from all over the country had been counted to decide who will be the next President of the United States.

After months of campaigning, as of July 21st and July 28th, The Republican and Democratic Party chose their Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates at their respective Republican and Democratic Conventions; Donald Trump (R) and Hillary Clinton (D) for the Presidential Office. Mike Pence (R) and Tim Kaine (D) were the Vice-Presidential picks for their parties.

The first Presidential Debate was on September 26th, multiple news sources including CNN, Fox News, and NBC say when surveyed, 52 to 62 percent of voters believed Hillary Clinton won the debate as she acted “more presidential” and had all around better factually backed propositions of policies and talking points while on stage.

On October 9th, the second presidential debate took on a town-hall format, which included everyday citizens taking turns asking each candidate questions varying from policies on the borders, to what one-another enjoys about the other candidate. Polls taken by CNN, Fox News and NBC were indecisive; with NBC and CNN saying Hillary Clinton won the debate by small margins, while Fox News reports Donald Trump won the debate in their polls.

On October 19th, the third (and final) presidential debate took place at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas, Nevada. Polls taken from CNN, Fox News, and NBC all agree that Hillary Clinton won the debate by nearly 10%.

On October 4th, the Vice-Presidential candidates Mike Pence (R) and Tim Kaine (D) took the stage at Longwood University to hash it out over immigration, economic policies, public safety, home-grown terrorism and all of the above. When polled by CNN and Fox News, 45 to 48 percent of voters agree that Mike Pence won the debate having been seen as more likeable and relatable, and were turned off by Tim Kaine’s interruptions.

November 8th crept closer and closer, voters and politicians alike were left to wonder what would happen next and how each party would fare after this coming election. With extremely important issues on the backs of the future President like climate change, healthcare, and arguably one of the most important issues of electing the 9th Supreme Court Justice. Political Analysts and Politicians alike believe this to be one of the most important elections of our lifetime and generations to come.