Burlington-Edison Tiger Football makes easy work of the competition

Tyler Henry, Sports Editor/Writer/Reporter

57dcdded5e8ff-image

57dcddedd74db-image

ARTWORK: (1)Payton Henderson, number 28, pumped up(2)Hunter Anderson, number 9, shedding a tackle

Weeks one through five of play have been of no issue to the Tigers

The Burlington-Edison Tigers football team has had no issue with the competition in the first four weeks of play.

Starting the season off with a non conference game against the 1A Seattle school Kings was a great measuring point to figure out where they were at. Not sure of how they were going to stack up against Kings it was a great confidence builder to beat the team 38-7 for the first home matchup of the season.

Week two brought around the most monumental game of the season, The Battle of The Bridge. Burlington has taken home the trophy the past two years so they had high hopes of continuing the tradition. Mount Vernon being a 4A school and Burlington a 2A, it can be a little intimidating but they had no problem getting past Mount Vernon beating them 28-7 on their own turf.

Week three, Burlington matched up against Anacortes, an opponent who has an easy history for the Tigers. That history held strong and the Tigers beat the Seahawks 28-0 at home.

“Our defense has been tough so far and with the front three as strong has they are it forces teams to throw the ball which makes it really fun as a defensive back,” said Junior Brett Rawlins, ‘18.

Week four at home against Lakewood brought around one of the most abnormal games to date. During the national anthem the police received word that there was an active shooter at the Cascade Mall. Shortly after dispatchers rushed to the scene, the student section received word of this.

About halfway through the second quarter the score was 21-7 and the Tigers leading athletic director Don Beazizo rushed onto the field. He explained the situation and told everyone to leave the stadium with a parent to insure safety.

“My first concern was not only the safety of the students involved on the field such as the football players, but cheerleaders, dance team, and band members, and all the students who did not have parents at the game became a worry,” said Athletic Director Don Beazizo.

Fortunately, no Burlington-Edison students or staff members were harmed in this tragedy.

Moving on to week five, the Tigers have a difficult opponent ahead of them in Bellingham.

“Preparing for games is a huge part to winning any game you play. You win the game on Friday night by practicing and preparing well Monday through Thursday.” says Burlington-Edison’s Senior quarterback Hunter Anderson, ‘17. The Tigers put a lot of work into their practices and take pride into the behind the scenes work that goes into the W on Friday nights.